Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Vietnam, night 1: Barbetta, Mao's Red Lounge and Half Man/Half Noodle

     Nights is Seoul don't start until 10 (at least for me), it's a later side deal but in Vietnam, evenings begin earlier. This was a trend I quickly (and willingly) embraced. People get together for a night of drinks or kicking it around 7 or so and close the evenings out around midnight! For my first night Ani introduced me to her friends (all wonderful) and to some classic bars.
     Bar number one was Barbetta, a bar scene located in the 'old French villa.' Drinks are around 90,000dong (about $4-5) and delicious! Honest with liquor amount and inventive in taste, they also have shisha! It wasn't available when I went but...we'll just say, shisha became another 'Vietnam mission.'
wine glasses hung from Barbetta's ceiling! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     Barbetta has an open roof top and a real vintage feel to it, I loved the spiraling staircase, whiskey bottle walls, and hung wine bottles. I only went here once but it's a favorite for many people!!
address: 34C Cao Ba Quat, Ba Đình,Hanoi
where to next? (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     The drinks went straight to my head, and I was a more than spoiled drunky! I couldn't wrap my head around the fact that I was in Vietnam!!! And Ani was sitting right next to me...life, how brilliant!!
     Next place we motorbiked to (I want one so badly) was a dark lit bar that was caging in the body heat, Mao's Red lounge! It was pretty close by and upon entering, I was struck by the large expat community! The bar was busy and had a second floor stock full of comfy chairs and lounging couches! No seat for us...we crashed a table where one Vietnamese guy was silently sipping and he was all too generous and got us a round of tropical drinks!!
Mao's drinks O_o# photo taken by VeganBeats
     His English was as limited as my Vietnamese but one of Ani's friends speaks Vietnamese well enough so that we discovered that our table buddy is a ballet dancer!
our ballet friend!! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     The bar was so dark and tightly packed, seeing what's around you is a bit difficult. But drinks and people were great...Also it's pretty close to Barbettas!!
address: 7 Tạ Hiên,Hoàn Kiếm, Hanoijfh
     The next location we checked out was Half Man/Half Noodle. A bar and late night dinner location. The blurry minded state we were all in left us a bit wiggly and confused. People ordered food, drinks, and when we got them, it was like a surprise birthday party, a fun forgotten present...like losing your favorite pair of jeans and when you do accidentally find them, there's a $10 in the pocket!
Half Man/Half Noodle (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     The name alone is enough reason to check this place out.  
Inside Half Man/ Half Noodle (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     This was a long night, full of bizarre reminders that I'm not in Seoul.
Ani and I caught a taxi home and I recall giggling most of the way. Dropping into bed and a glorious rest...one hell of a first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment