Friday, August 5, 2011

Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon): YMC, Yoga & Meditation Center

     About six years ago yoga was introduced to my life, and took a seat of right next to veganism. Yoga has a molded seat in this life-house of mine!
     Yoga has not only brought me great flexibility in physical terms but in life. It has also brought me peace, strength, and phenomenal relationships with people. One being Ani, and for old times sake and in honor of being across the world together, we hoped to do some guided power yoga together!
     We met up with a friend for drinks and she highly recommended YMC: Yoga & Meditation Center. After the visit to the War Remnants Museum, we walked to YMC. It was a bit tricky to find, it's in a neighborhood alley, a bit tucked away but...stunning!
Entrance of YMC (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     Walked through the parted walls you step on red wood breaking a pond full of baby koi fish. The entire center is open and clean and has an ambiance of relaxation. My parts felt anxious and relaxed. 
     Ani and I had our hearts set on Power Yoga, and it was about 200,000 dong ($10.00) for an hour and a half long class! Our instructor was Hung and he was so damned flexible!
     It has been a while since I've done a real guided class, so I was a bit rusty. The last time I did yoga was at my gym and it was slapping our thighs on the ground, we spent the entire "class" on our backs, I nearly walked out (I NEVER do that!!) 
     The studio room was large and open, and a breeze consistently filled the room along with the aromas of outside! The class was small and people tended to shuffle in and out due to the difficulty of the practice. 
     Hung was a wonderful, WONDERFUL instructor. He had a soothing and assertive voice full of confidence, I trusted his practice. We were sweating, everyone was sweating...and my body was benefiting for sure. I did a lot of self-reflecting and thanking for..life. I've been in that mood and presence for a while, genuine gratefulness. Having it present in this practice was...rewarding. 
     Throughout the practice I went deeper into myself, forgetting and disappearing from my surroundings, an inner exploration. During shivasana, my fellow yogis me fell fast asleep. I experienced an out of body position. My mind put down all walls, all thoughts and there was nothing but free existence. At times I would catch myself and in a fit of nerves through my barriers up, but then again, I would relax my mind and freedom would occur. 
     A great experience and I am so glad I shared it with Ani again. It's great to have a revisit to the initial gatherings!!

YMC's information:
Address: 335/31 Dien Bien Phu, Ward 4, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
Phone number: (08)-3929-1707
e-mail: info@ymcvn.com
website: www.ymcvietnam.com


Next stop was a train ride and Mui Ne^^*!~

No comments:

Post a Comment