Thursday, March 1, 2012

Konjak mix-up and hummus

     A heavily nailed in subject for any newby vegan, or really anyone with taste-buds (that are in full working order) is the love of hummus. Packed full of protein, fiber, and a creamy smooth texture; you really can't go wrong with this spread/dip/schmere/spoonful yum! Being that chickpeas aren't too available Seoul-side, hummus comes as a special treat. I wish grocery stores mirrored the state-side stores, fridges layered full in ready made (and affordable) hummus. I buy dried chickpeas over at the Foreign Food Market and after soaking them overnight and boiling them, making this jazz is a breeze.
     This is a couple past eats, a daily feast I guess. I whipped up some super garlic-spicy hummus and topped it with some roughly chopped greens. Post-workout tired Veganbeats was feeling great after this!
hummus~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     I didn't just eat hummus, granted I could but this body was craving something a bit different (texture wise). I had some konjak, a calorie free plant similar to muk, tofu, and seaweed. What I did was dice both the konjac and tofu and pan-fried then in some coconut oil for about 30 seconds. I then threw in some water and almost 3 cloves of garlic, 1/4 an onion, red pepper flakes, and a splash of soy sauce. After everything was cooked and simmered down and the konjac and tofu was lightly brown in color, I threw is all on top of shredded greens and Vavoom, protein heavy, textured, flavor packed greens.
loaded~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     This meal was super protein heavy, generous in fiber, and well worth every bite. I had leftovers too and...it isn't too bad. Maybe I can start casting aside my "Only fresh" rule~

No comments:

Post a Comment