Friday, December 2, 2011

Frugal Stew

     Weeks fly by, as they always do but the excitment of Friday never disappears. I work later than usual days come Fridays, I get to take advantage of the morning and stay snuggling until noon. Granted, I've been doing work in the am, so I don't stay cozied up for as much as I would like, but that's because this lady needs to make and save some dough. I recently dropped a lot for a flight so I've been kicking it VT style (is it free?) Everyday I usually nom on raw carrots, cucumbers, and some 쌈장 (ssamjang) and saving cash has left me stealing nuts for extra energy for the day. I don't get my coffee shop coffees, don't go out for drinks often...I mean it's always much more efficient to brew the joe at home, pop a cork with friends, but...that fresh acidic water is a treat. Payday, come my way so I can fill myself up a couple mugs. 
     The other day I caved, I needed to make something warm, I wanted a stew, a soup of some sort. I trucked it to a local grocery store and zipped to reduced price items...yea, I'm that one.
     I got a pound of tofu, 1.5 pounds of slightly soft cherry tomatoes, wrinkly mushrooms, some ignored kale, sad mushy bananas (I hate bananas but they have energy and potassium), and some soymilk on special. All this cost me~ 5,500W
     I had the carrot and cucumber slices and cabbage threads in my bag and was ready to whip something delicious up.

     I did.
all sorts of yum (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     I sliced, diced, seasoned, and my tiny apartment was sweating with a savory smoke that got Hamlet talking!

I call this my Frugal Stew~
What you need: (you can make a lot to a single serving, I made a lot...)
*1 cup cherry tomatoes, washed and de-stemmed
* as much kale as you want, chopped roughly
* shredded cabbage (as mush as you want)
*1 box of oyster mushrooms, chopped
*1 lb of tofu, cubed or slivered, all up to your preference
*1 small potato diced into bite-sized pieces
*1-2 T veggie powder (I brought some from Vietnam with me)
*2T chili seasoning
*1 t lemon juice
*1-2 t fresh ground pepper
*water

Directions:
1. In a medium-large pan bring several cups of water to a boil, add the potatoes, mushrooms, and tofu
2. Cook through until the potatoes are almost done, add the tomatoes, cabbage, and kale
3. At the same time add the pepper, powder, and lemon juice.
4. Add the chili powder and add more water if getting too thick.
~You can add water as you go, the starch from the potatoes naturally thickens this, you want the tomatoes to essentially split, you can crush them for more broth.

     This can be served with rice or alone. I went for it solo and it was just what my body wanted. Comforting, flavorful, the tomatoes really added lots of flavor...mushy of not, worth the price!! ^^*

1 comment:

  1. What is the biggest holiday in December? Nearly everyone knows that it is Christmas. Popular customs include exchanging gifts, decorating Christmas trees, attending church, sharing meals with family and friends and, of course, waiting for Santa Claus to arrive.
    But how to shop the best gifts to exchange with our family or friends?
    There are a great many products in the market or on the webshop. How to choose the best among them?
    As far as I know, girls like shoes or clothes very much. Among all the shoes, “Christian Louboutin Shoes” are surely the most famous ones. Christian Louboutin shoes are fit for women in most occasions. Even the pop stars love “Christian Louboutin Heels” very much too. They are proud of their red-soled shoes ,which intangibly improve their confidence and taste. So if you are a girl who likes fashion, don’t hesitate to buy yourself a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes. Or if you are wondering what to buy for your girlfriend on Christmas, then why not buy her a pair of red-soled Christian Louboutin?
    Lately, “Beats by Dre. ” Headphones sell very well on the website. More and more people like them now. Of course, there are many pop stars like them. Among these pop stars, Lady Gaga, Kobe and Justin Bieber are the mostly listed ones. Monster headphones have special product for these three stars. If you like these three stars, you could choose them. “Heartbeats by Lady Gaga High Performance In-Ear Headphones” are especially for Lady Gaga. They are of three colors: black, red and white. “Monster Studio Kobe High Definition Powered Isolation Headphones” are especially for Kobe Brant. “Monater Justbeats Solo High Definition On-ear Headphones” are especially for Justin Bieber.
    There are many other products to choose on Christmas. I would update more later. Or you could click the keywords below to glance at the certain products first.

    ReplyDelete