Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Eve and peppermint pudding pie

     My dad, mom, and brother were all about the secret V, they didn't tell anyone that I was wandering in this time zone so my godparents hadn't a clue that I was hiding in the basement while they prepped for church going.
     Every Christmas eve, since I can't recall (even in the slightest degree) my godparents have shared holiday celebrations with my immediate family and myself. Last year was the first one I didn't attend. The evening usually plays out in this order...they arrive, we all kick it, nom or whatever, open presents, people eat desert, then we play games until no one an keep an eye open. I don't care how dweeby I sound, but video games and goofing around is something I love, I fully embrace video game culture and ribbing one another over some 3D interactive game show. Why watch jeopardy when you can be doing it yourself right?
     My dad and I were chatting when the doorbell rang and all army style I crawled like a lynx to my basement...they all got gussied up and went to church and when they came back I strolled down the stairs. More hugs, lots of love and...ahh the embracing squeezes...I may be bruising these ribs of mine but it is hella worth it. It felt like I never left, we all eased into our routine but with a cheeky rosiness now, so much positivity!
O_o# (photo taken by VeganBeats)
pressies pressies pressies!!! (photo taken by VeganBeats)

     While opening presents, Alex and I went to the kitchen to create a rich dessert together. I want all kitchen play to be in my hands (does that sound slightly demanding) and my brother was kind enough to let me play baker. He being a full-fledge mint-man and a self-reserved choco-holic, we created a super peppermint chocolate cream pie. It wasn't vegan but it was nearly from scratch...in terms of Attleboro.
ready, set, finish (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     While my brother made the chocolate pudding and crushed peppermint, I made the whip cream. It was fresh and as local as you can get in this tiny town but..I won't even bother defending myself on this. I added peppermint powder (freshly powderized!) and confectionary sugar to the cream and went a whipping. The smell of mint entered our nostrils and even though I'm not a mint girl...it smelt yummy!
photo taken by VeganBeats
     Luckily I picked up some fresh mint from a local store and with all these peppermint candies littering our home, Alex let me decorate and what came to be was a heavily loaded cream pie with chocolate dusted on it's snowy peaks. 
photo taken by VeganBeats)
whoa (photo taken by VeganBeats)
photo taken by VeganBeats
     We got rave responses and Alex seemed thoroughly content with the minty-ness. A vegan version is on the checklist!

No comments:

Post a Comment