Sunday, January 8, 2012

Shanghai: Chinese~Bar~Sushi

     My final evening before I came back to Korea was spent at Shanghai, a swanky restaurant that lies right on Thayer street. This restaurant holds a lot of great memories for this lady!
     The first time I went was through recommendations of a wonderful and beautiful friend (and old coworker)~ we kicked it there one evening, swilling back scorpion bowls and overall having a great time. The second time I went to Shanghai was on my final night before flying to begin this Seoul-side adventure. And the most recent time I've been was before leaving the US to kick it BACK Seoul-side.
     The restaurant serves all sorts of Chinese and Asian Fusion inspired food. There are loads of appetizers, sushi, combos, etc. Each and every time I've gone here has been with Daihana and she highly recommends the scallion pancakes, and super agreed, these are delicious. Here are just some shots of all the plates grabbed and purchased, and we can't forget the star and center of the place~
crab rangoon (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     Okay, I couldn't wait~ here's the star of the show. Sweet and powerful, comes a blazing and is beyond delicious. Scorpion Bowl (I imagine ringing a GIANT gong followed by flowery twills and a shrilling guitar...FIGHTING^^*!~)
Scorpion bowl (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     Okay, now here are the plates~ starting with the famous scallion pancakes, then onto the meals!
scallion pancakes (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     Being that I'm the only vegan kicking it amongst my wonderful friends, I feel like I put a slight burden or discomfort on my friends when we eat out. I genuinely am concerned about the concern I get riled up...but they're wonderful and super supportive and loving so...a million thanks over crew!
a beef dish (photo taken by VeganBeats)
Shrimp and broccoli combo~ I think (photo taken by VeganBeats)
Shrimp and broccoli combo~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)
      I can always make myself some yummy Chinese food but there's something about American-style Chinese food, saucy, sweet, not very healthy but undeniably delicious. I've been craving some General Tso's tofu, (I can make a mean one) and couldn't wait to snag some.
     I was in a generally anxious position (last nights do that eh) and eating anything wasn't my focus (this mind was elsewhere) but I was drinking and well...I remember last time~ So..combo plate of veggie spring roll (made vegan), General Tso's tofu, steamed broccoli, and brown rice, all for about $8.00!
General Tso's tofu, steamed broccoli, veggie spring roll and brown rice~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     The tofu was well flavored, but didn't measure up to mine (how snobby can a girl get), it tasted more like the tofu was pan fried then the sauce was quickly poured on. The sauce was good, but I wish it was a bit thicker, it was very watery, the broccoli was perfect and the spring roll was great. Well flavored, great mix of veggies, and a great combination of crunchy and snappy!
     Last time I got the Szechuan Spicy Garlic String Beans, and those were great! Green beans cooked to a state of teasingly crunchy and soft on the inside, the garlic was generous and the spicy was distributed evenly amongst the massive portion they presented. This of course, was served with scorpion bowls...

ahhh~RI

No comments:

Post a Comment