Friday, September 2, 2011

Bonobono (보노보노) Seafood buffet ~Vegan friendly, really?!?!?

     A big part of working in Korea are the staff dinners. Massive get togethers where you're expected to attend (regardless of already organized schedules) and urged to binge-either on food or drinks. A new semester just began today and to celebrate that, and the departure of a beautiful and preggo teacher, we went to 보노보노 (Bonobono) a seafood buffet restaurant.
the dining area (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     The restaurant is focused around seafood, so I was a bit nervous. First, I have to eat something, it's insulting if I don't, and second...this place is a bit pricey!!! I don't want to be a head there, costing about 41,000W and not nomming on something. I'd feel a bit too guilty.  I did a bunch of research (in the scurried twenty minutes I had) and discovered that Bonobono grows their own greens, everything is fresh to order and there are vegan options. I wasn't all that hungry so I did that plate sharing deal more or less. Some of my coworkers are humoring the idea of vegan living so we all piled too much on a couple plates and picked at it together.
omg O_o (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     There were herbed salads made gull of ginseng roots and seaweed, and the "dressing" was mashed tofu. There were LOADS of sprouts (nom nom nom) and crunchy veggies. The 반찬 (banchan) available consisted of 물김치, lotus roots, fresh 김치, pumpkin, etc. There were also fried foods available, like vegan springrolls, and fried pumpkin but...if I want street-food I'd grab at that.
piled high (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     Major pluses included the "home" grown greens, sprouts, fresh fruits, and 맡빙수 (pat bingsu) bar!! Shaved ice!!! Beans!!! Pureed fruits!!! I didn't have a conventional bingsu..more crushed ice and espresso, and then another one of crushed ice, fresh pineapple, and lychees!! So sue me, I ate a load of ice....and fruit...
coffee (O; (photo taken by VeganBeats)
....ahhh and they had pine mountain (?) makgeoli! It was wonderful, fresh, piney...and I stopped after a couple. I can't be that drunken "American" teacher...

Anyways, if you're a vegan and "forced" to Bonobono, no fear...you  can get by.

Direction: Seocho station, line 2 go out exit 1, walk straight and it's on the 2nd floor of the building with 'A TwosomePlace'
Address:1553-1 Seocho-dong, Seocho-gu
phone #: 02-6204-8080



No comments:

Post a Comment