Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Vatos Urban Tacos~ chyeak ye

     I completed week 1 of the P90X regular but have switched to the lean workout...so far, still loving it. I've kept with my vitamin schedule, have been present with my family back home (chyea skype), do my stretches, and have been social. I'm finding I have more energy, am overall more present in situations, and I've even gotten back into reading (more than usual). Currently I'm getting into The Omnivores Dilemma, it's been on my list for years (why have I waited so long?) I've been getting into the habit of reminding myself why I chose this lifestyle...am I the only person that does this? I watch the food education films (Forks Over Knives, Gary Yourofsky's speach, etc) only to get upset, but also to keep myself in touch with my reasons...


     Anyways, let's tie this into being social. Last week I got together with some of those Amazing Seouls that bring so much brightness into this country! I spent all day Saturday apartment hunting then wandered to Itaewon to the glorious Vatos Urban Tacos. The restaurant was super busy and buzzing with happy diners (and drinkers)! At first the group was just myself and three buddies, but soon enough we were joined by four more people! Kenny, John, and Jeena were more than accommodating ^^*!~ Pol and David had never been to Vatos and earlier that evening they suggested my showing them some vegan eateries...made the recommendation for this urban taco joint and they were down. We first got some drinks and UGH~ delicious!
my mango makgeolita up front (11,500w) and David's frozen orange margarita (12,000w) photo taken by VeganBeats
     I went with the mango makgeolita (which I got last time) and David went with the orange frozen margarita. The makgeolita is only ONLY available at Vatos and it is too good, I find myself craving this! I love makgeoli, and this just makes it better! Even David (not a makgeoli fan) said it was good. The drinks are generous, massive bowls of tasty drinks~ you can't find any drink this size, for these prices...worth it. And what did Pol get?
Mexican Martini 15,000W (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     The Mexican martini, "This is three drinks...Jesus that's good!"
I've never been a fan of martinis, too salty, briny, and as wimpy as this sounds~ I'm not a fan of tasting liquor...(unless its a good whisky). But this drink(s) was very well done. It was strong, heated (there were jalapenos in it!) and again, generous. The mixer was full of more drink and it was so good that our table downed about four of them!
     Let's get to the food...I've heard nothing but great things about the kimchi carnita fries, not vegan but I wanted the guys to have a great impression of this joint (they were already impressed with the drinks...so) but so far, not difficult. The kimchi carnita fries (9,900w) are french fries served with shredded pork, salsa, cheese, sour cream, and lots of green~ the guys dug in and literally moaned when the forks hit mouths.
kimchi carnita fries (photo taken by VeganBeats)
      DO NOT FEAR fellow veg-heads, Vatos is SUPER vegan friendly. They have a new chef that has a lot of vegan experience back in the states and he whipped up a super spicy and delicious taco! Everything here is made to order and it's fresh, the quality of the food makes this very clear.
Vegan taco~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     The taco was loaded with heat, well cooked and sauteed veggies (onions, peppers, cabbage, etc) and served in a crunchy fresh corn tortilla. It was served alongside a cabbage slaw that I really can't get over. I'm a bit of purist when it comes to veggies, so having something presented so honestly really makes this Vermont girl smiley (yea yea, I know I'm a Mass woman too)! Back in VT, I ate fresh, always fresh, local, honest food, so when it comes to fresh, I'm a snob. I LOVE that Vatos makes everything to order, and that everything tastes like REAL food. I've had tortillas that just, yech...it tastes like chemicals, old flour, salt...just awful. Having a real tortilla is a treat (Vatos makes them!!), and having veggies that aren't weeping (in Korea)...Awesome!
     The crew I was with were raving, and more than happy with the service, ambiance, energy, food...and drinks! The lay out of the space is very true to Kenny's intentions (check out the NEH article I wrote about it a while back)~ it's urban, chill, and welcoming. Everyone's in a positive state of mind, the food is great, drinks delicious...we left with smiles, happy tummies and:
     "I'll be back here again...many times."
       


This is for sure~

For directions/hours check out their site or my other post
Vatos Facebook site





Lean P90X Workout
PHASE 1 - 1st month
Week 2
  • Day 1 - Core Synergistics
  • Day 2 - Cardio X
  • Day 3 - Shoulders and Arms, Ab Ripper X
  • Day 4 - Yoga X
  • Day 5 - Legs and Back, Ab Ripper X
  • Day 6 - Kenpo X
  • Day 7 - Rest or X Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment