Thursday, June 16, 2011

Pain Au Fromage

     In the tiny streets surrounding my home, I keep stumbling into independent low key quaint little cafes and there has been one teasing my eye for a while. But every time I made the active effort to check it out, it's been closed. When the streets around me were empty, not one drunkard in site, it was open. I know given the name, 'Pain Au Fromage' (cheese bread) this doesn't seem up my alley (ㅎㅎㅎ) I don't like bread, don't eat cheese...why the hell would I want to check it out?!! The design, it's adorable. A GIANT decorated bagel hangs outside, it's in a basement, and there's breads littered everywhere...
the entrance (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     As you go down the stairs and enter the warm and cozy cafe, behind you are vintage yeast buckets, and decorative breads. I felt like I was in a museum, or my nana's house...if she ever made bread, I think her kitchen would resemble this doorway alone.    
bread doorway! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     The interior is creative, very themed and did I already say cute? There was an indoor fake tree adorned in teeny bagels! The seating was very natural, all wood, concrete, sure and confident...welcoming and loving. Like my papa! 
bagel tree! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     The owner was the only person inside, and he was more than kind and accepting of my general state of mind...anonymity. I wanted to be in this place free of speech, free of "buy this" pressure... I'm pretty sure he was in the same position too, bagging breads in silence, quiet yet approachable. He is the owner I believe and very humble. 
the owner..I think (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     There were a lot of touches put into this place to make it what it was. From the clean and warm wood used for the tables and counter, to the warm yellow lighting, and the carb themed decorations...my favorites were the price holders...
G would be so happy! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     I got some ciabatta and an americano for a small sum. I think it cost me about 5,000W for both. The coffee was fresh, ice cold, and not bitter at all. One of the most soothing coffees I had! Maybe that's not the general purpose for coffee, but considering how much I drink, a little less obvious the caffeine is...probably better for this body of mine!
ciabatta and americano! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     I loved the ambiance here, the relaxation, the interior design...it's inviting, comforting, and a place you can spend all day at in complete peace. I predict a lot of writing and coffee knocking to be going on here! 

It's a little hidden, but pretty simple to get to!

Directions:
Seoul National Univeristy of Education Station (교대역) line 2/green line
Get out exit 14 and walk straight until you get to the GS gas station, take that right, then your first left. When you see the 711, take the right, directly across from it, walk up straight (a tiny bit of an incline) and look knee level on you right side...or look for a bagel hanging outside!!

Korean address:
서울시 서초구 서초동 1565-191충  
tel: 02-585-0450

No comments:

Post a Comment