Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Garak Market, family times, and the park bunny^^*!~

     A truly relaxing Sunday...when this day has been generally understood as the day of rest, I can't recall when I actually had a lazy fun Sunday. Lazy being an issue of semantics really. I allowed myself to sleep in, actually sleep in. Shut off as many stress points as possible and when I woke up I decided to hit up the subway for Garak market. A subway station and destination I've always wanted to explore!!
     The day was hott, and the market essentially empty when I got there. There were several vendors...and as the day went on, more people started wandering.
veggie stands (photo taken by VeganBeats)
I stumbled upon a warehouse FULL of watermelons! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
colorful veggies ^^* (photo taken by VeganBeats)
the roots, sweet potatoes, lotus root, sweet potatoe...(photo taken by VeganBeats)
     After the market, I trucked around my new purchases (man watermelons are HEAVY!) and went over to 송파 and visited my 이모!! Never took time to soak in the walk to her place....look at her entrance!
     We caught up on the past and ate watermelon and then decided to make 호떡(hoedoek) that flat fried pancake filled with cinnamon sugary goodness...no street vendor for me, I got this jam down. I'll get the exact recipe soon...but here's the general process in picture terms!
flour, sweet pumpkin flour, and yeast (photo taken by VeganBeats)
add some warm water (photo taken by VeganBeats)
the filling! cinnamon, ground nuts, sugar (photo taken by VeganBeats)
Make some dumplings and fry up...flatten with that weird spatula in the top right (photo taken by VeganBeats)
Hello 호떡!! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     After packaging these up, my 이모 her husband and I went over to Olympic park to enjoy the breeze, drink some coffee and soak in our surrounding. The sun was out, a light breeze filled in from the skies and it was cool. I could smell grass, here people laughing, children playing, and was just chilling when all of sudden!!!
this guy found me!! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
  Apparently, this little guy lives in the park...was very calm, super cute, and... well...animals only improve my day!! He looks like someone smeared some liquid liner on him!!
too cute ^^*!~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)

Considering this only covers Saturday.....

No comments:

Post a Comment