Saturday, January 8, 2011

Sanchon*!~

          A couple days ago I finally ventured to a resturaunt that's been on my list for quite some time, Sanchon. It has been considered one of the best resturaunts in Asia, and more than that a great dining experience. Studying other blogs and from word of mouth and all that vegan talk, years ago I decided that this place was a must!
          After work I met with the wonderful Jaxs, Patricia, and George in 인사동 and we wandered over for dinner! Once we arrived we were seated in a beautiful room with a stage in the center. The moment we sat down, the dishes started coming out.
the first plate, dried laver and a flour wrapped herb. (photo taken by VEganBeats)
the flour pancake with delicate herb (photo taken by VeganBeats)

water kimchi nom nom nom (photo taken by VeganBeats)
 The water kimchi was good, the water part was, the kimchi itself was really mushy. I personally like crunchy snappy kimchi...
pumpkin porridge, wasn't the biggest fan of this...>_< (photo taken by VeganBeats)
 The porridge was really thick and sticky, I was hoping for a more pumpkiny taste, but it was more like rice than anything. I am not a rice fan so I wasn't ver into this porridge.

 I think it's clear that this lady LOVES lettuce, I am more than thankful that many Korean dishes involve wrapping everything in a lettuce bundle...so thank Mom for being Korean! ^^*!~
(from left to right ) some 고추장 sauce, a sweet ginger salty sauce, a really salty mixture of garlic and mountain vegetables, lettuce, seaweed, perilla/spinch leaves, and seasoned rice balls. (photo taken by VeganBeats)
 The seaweed and 고추장 were my favorite, I think I could eat seaweed (and lettuce) everyday and never be unhappy...

(from left to right) ddotoori mmuk 도토리묵, pressed tofu 두부 in a sweet bitter 고추장 sauce, mountain herbs in a soy based sauce, spicey dandelion roots, seasoned steamed mountain roots (rapes) and turnip, a sweet 두부 in a garlic and bbq like sauce but 고추장 based, cabbage with vinegar chives and hot peppers, seaweed chips, baby potatoes in a sweetend soy sauce concentration, cilantro salad, and 김치. (center plate from bottom going left) spinach 반찬, mountain spinach 반찬, ginseng root 반찬, sea spinach 반찬, bitter greens 반찬, sage 반찬, and chives with curdled 두부.  (photo taken by VeganBeats)
 It was a lot of 반찬, which I normally love, but these 반찬 were pretty bitter. I wasn't a fan of a lot of them, too bitter.
And oddly enough they served some fried stuff to us. We were all a bit confused because for healthy temple food, why the batter, why the frying? I didn't take a picture of the fried stuff...
Anyways, all of a sudden the lights shut off and the show was on. There were three preformers all together and they did traditional Korean drumming. It was pretty cool, but I have to admit, it was difficult to see what we were putting in our mouths with the lights so dim..
photo taken by VeganBeats

she looks stunning....(photo taken by VeganBeats)

photo taken by VeganBeats

photo taken by VeganBeats
 After the show we were given a great soup, a hodghpodge of all sort of veggies. Spinach, 두부, cabbage, mushrooms, soybean paste, potatoes, etc...it was hearty and was served in a big pot and we scooped it up using a small bamboo cup...I wish I snapped a picture of it....
At the end of the meal we were served a very VERY sweet ginger cinnamon tea and these rice puff cakes. ahh my sugar levels...
photo taken by VeganBeats
 and then the bil...about 160,000W....40,000W per person.
And I hate to be the negative nancy but, my overall expectations of Sanchon I think were too high. I read and heard some amazing things about it, but it overall didn't live up to them. I felt like I dropped 40,000 on bitter banchan and a spread overwhelmed with potatoes. I was hoping and wanting more flavor, more spice...and I almost forgot, they served us white rice! White?!!! George and I were expecting brown, I was expecting brown and bean rice...zero.
I don't think I will go here again, not unless it's paid for. It was a great experience because I tried it, great people to chat with, and a fun preformance, but...I think my expectations were a bit to high. I prefer the hole in the wall family joints...anyways, it's worth a try...just not 40,000W.

George, Jaxs and Patricia*!~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)
Lunch time is less expensive, but dinner comes with a traditional show! Bring a lot of people with you...makes a dining experience more than worth the cash!!

Ahhh and walking out...back home I set eyes on this...
photo taken by VeganBeats
vaggie bagelwich....yes please ^^*~

No comments:

Post a Comment