Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Foreign Food Market in Itaewon


I've only been to Itaewon once since I've come to Korea, for many reasons I've tried to avoid it because well...I want to get into the Korean culture versus the comfort of familiarity. Itaewon is a cultural cornicopia of a lot of American owned stores, bars, shops, etc. There's an overwhelming (and extremely comforting) amount of English speaking going on here, there's no confusion over directions or prices or simple communication...
My avoidance got the best of me when I realized that this body of mine was missing some of the comforts of America. I missed getting chickpeas at any market, salsa (why was I craving this) and hell...I missed quality balsamic vinegar, I was craving my comfort....so the foreign food mart was a must.
It was pretty easy to find, literally two minutes from Itaewon station...you get out at exit 3 and walk straight for a bit, when you see the Dunkin Donuts and Mr. Kebab take a right. Walk up the hill for a bit, and it's on your left!
It only takes cash so make sure to get cash befor eyou load up and realize you can't pay....mistake numero uno!


Entering the store my body fluttered in excitement. There was pita bread, tahini, ground flaxseeds, LOADS of balsamic vinegar, campbells (I don't care for it at all, but it is comforting to see!!), dried beans, peas!! I was literally giggling out loud, I felt like I was in candy land...I needed to be smart with my purchasing, I had to in fact bring it all back with me on the subway...but my eyes were shopping and my heart was pounding...
After about an hour of scrounging around and measuring, adding, and internal debating I left with these goodies!!
not organic or all natural but believe it or not, 4 lbs for 19,000W is a steal, especially in Korea >_<# (photo taken by VeganBeats)
dijon mustard..I almost cried when I found this...nom nom (photo taken by VeganBeats)
so much salsa gwaaaaaaaa (Homer voice) (photo taken by VeganBeats)

chick peas and only 1500W!!!...heaven (photo taken by VeganBeats)
dried chick peas for 3500W!!!!! Hummus, you will enter the Vegan life soon enough ^^*~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)
 Maybe I seem and appear a bit greedy with this chickpea purchase, but chickpeas mean a lot to me. They were the first bean that I can remember being introduced to, (thanks dad!) They're always been around since I was a kid and there's this whole comfort and safety associated with them. I always used to go with canned chickpeas but after getting a bunch of dried ones in bulk I discovered a whole new flavor association. When they are dried and soaked they have a very nutty flavor to them, and they are super inexpensive dried, as most beans are! This was the initial vegan staple of my life, maybe the main protein source for when I was a kid...so thanks nana for introducing me to hummus that one summer day, my life has truly been forever changed from that moment...^^*!~

dried red lentils..mamas making some dahl! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
 The glory, the nectar of heaven, the beautiful....my giddiest purchase (right there with chickpeas and the green peas)...
balsamic vinegar!!!! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
 I also got a HUGE bag of frozen green peas...ai did I miss these! I always stack my freezer with frozen peas, it's my go to, my chosen, my always loved greens,,,mmm besides lettuce. They're sweet, cute, flavorful and super good for you! The bag was 6,000W but frozen veggies are overpriced and honestly..I think they suck over here. I HATE the variety fozen veggie bags; why would I want a bag full of frozen carrots, corn, AND peas? I just want the peas...plus those variety bags are expensive...teeny bags for 4500 or 6000W...I got a steal...nom nom

Riding the subway home my mind was cranking, what could I make that would include a bunch of these new exciting and comfortaing purchases...I was honestly stressing a bit, I was starving but not hungry enough to make everything I used to make with all of these things...while my mind was steaming, a guy sat next to me with a camera and I thought of my old roomie Andre!! He is an AMAZING photographer and person, and he took photos for one of my earlier posts! While we were living together we once made falafels and so when I got home...
falafel!! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
that's exactly what I made!!

2 comments:

  1. OMG i love FFM!
    BTW FFM expanded recently! check it out ((:
    They now have everything... I feel like im in USA...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! It's a great place to get EVERYTHING!!! I've got a bit of a love/hate relationship...(paychecking pains!!)

      Delete