Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Bread Experiments: More Itchn'n'the'kitch~

     I can do complications, I can do ornate, I can work with lots of ingredients...but when it comes to the minimals, the bare minerals of things, I seem to lose all face. When I was first playing with ingredients and food, meal creating...I could do casseroles, ratatouille, samosas, etc...ask me to make a grilled cheese (pre-vegan days) and I was a mess. I burnt things, didn't melt cheese, ruined pans...I can't work with simple. Give me trouble, hard work, intricate demands and I'm the lady.
     I've been trying to work with the simplest, and most difficult of creations~ bread. It requires four ingredients and provides the greatest of challenges. Here's my adventures with bread...(gluten free bread is no problem, over 15 ingredients....aiiii)
before I burnt the cheese~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     First challenge was 'za...A week or two ago I had the brilliant idea to make a za for one kick-Ass Seoul, one to thank them for being extra Vegan tolerant and to give myself a challenge! I threw on loads of ingredients, peppers, chunky tomatoes, mushrooms, leeks, onions, kale, spinach, garlic scapes, and cheese. The result was a burnt crunchy cheesy pizza that... "it doesn't look tasty, but it's good." 

     But the crust...what about the crust?!

"Perfect..."

     Next challenge was ciabatta and cinnamon raisin bread. I can easily jump on the subway for 20 minutes and find some ciabatta...but Phbbbt to that...let's see what I can do ehh?!
     I grew exhausted and honestly didn't measure (I'm a bit eye-measure-cocky) and just went for it...I never really measure for cakes...or cookies...or anything else really and I haven't ever gotten negative reviews. Meh...thanks Mamabeats!
     Anyways...what came out in ciabatta terms was a crusty-topped and fluffy bread, not really airy like a legitimate ciabatta but enough to please these taste buds!
Lotta Ciabatta~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     The cinnamon raisin bread was...ridiculous! I read some recipes that called for half cups of raisins, or "scant cinamon" and well...I don't follow rules. Half a cup...HALF...serious? If the bread is has some sort of title presenting it...I want minimum flour, "scant" carb and high whatever the hell it's nicknamed. I was generous with the cinnamon (think cinnamon challenge amount), used organic agave, and fistfuls of raisins...result~ better than all those other breads.
gooey in all the right places~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     And being the VeganBeatin snob I am...I ignored using one type of flour~ 4 SUCKASSSS


Here's my base "recipe" I did for all these kids:~

What you need:
  1. 1.75 c warm water (I just get the tap as hot as it'll go...)
  2. 1 T olive oil 
  3. 1.5 t green tea salt
  4. 1.5 t dry yeast
  5. 1.5 t organic coconut sugar
  6. 3 c whole wheat flour
  7. 1 c unbleached wheat flour
  8. 0.5 c flour blend of quinoa/rice/almond (why...because I want to)
What to do:
  1. Pour the hot water into a big metal bowl (it's got to stay heated!)
  2. Using a big spoon, mix the sugar, salt, oil, and yeast and stir it until it's combined...needn't be concerned if it's not all dissolved. 
  3. Add the flours and mix until everything looks pretty blended!
  4. Cover the bowl with somethng (I chose aluminum foil!) and let it rise for 2 hours
  5. Are you angry? Punch that dough!!! Add a bit more flour is it's too sticky!! 
  6. Let it rise again...until you're no longer patient and bake at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) for a half hour!
FOR Ciabatta...get angry and punch it...

FOR Cinnamon Raisin Bread~~
What you need:
  1. cinnamon
  2. sugar or agave
  3. raisins...and anything else you're craving
What to do:
  1. How much do you want of either...go for it.
  2. Roll out the dough flat..sprinkle that ish in...
  3. bake that all the same way as step 6 for above...
  4. nom nom nom
Experiment Conclusions:
     I've got learning to do...novice okay~~



No comments:

Post a Comment