Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Lettuce Dried-basil pesto!

     When I think of Vermont, one thing seems to simmer at the top of my mind. It's not the home brews or the local goods (though they are in a broader aspect VERMONT!)  pesto comes to mind. I used to work at an organic market and we had aisles and rows filled with so many different types of pesto. Some local, some straight from Italy, home made, etc..pricey as hell but popular! I never indulged on it and though the smells teased me, I never really ate it. I love LOVE basil but oils I tend to stray from...However...this food processor of mine just makes me want to experiment!
     I don't have ANY fresh basil, and wanted to see if I could do something with the giant jar of dried basil I have. I also have no pine nuts, but a decent amount of walnuts, raw cashews, and raw almonds. And again, thanks to the generous lunch ladies, I had a lot of lettuce!

Lettuce Dried-Basil Pesto!
heavenly scents! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
What you need:
**Food processor OR blender!
~1/2 cup of walnuts (or nut mix...walnuts are great!)
~3/4 cup olive oil
~1 T dried basil
~3/4-1 t sea salt
~1/2 t black pepper
~1 T nutritional yeast
~3 cloves of garlic (I LOVE garlic)
~generous handful of lettuce greens (try arugula for zing!)

What to do:
1. put nuts, salt, pepper, garlic, nutrional yeast, and dried basil in food processor.
2. add the greens.
3. pour the olive oil over everything and give a whirl (the oil after everything for some reason makes it easier to disperse everything easier)

Even without fresh basil this came out great, and helped me use up the abundance of veggies I have going on. Seriously, Hamlet, 고구마 and I are having some trouble...my freezer is getting stocked!

I had this over some "cabbage" spaghetti and pan fried oyster mushrooms...^^*!~
yummy plants...and fungus! (photo taken by VeganBeats)

No comments:

Post a Comment