Saturday, October 6, 2012

Tofu Scram for Brekkie~

      HEYA MOFO muthas~ >_<
I'm going to pat myself a tad on the back for keeping up with this "challenge", I know it's only been a few days but...I'm doing it!!
     A classic breakfast jam is scrambled eggs. I remember as kid being overwhelmingly stoked when I first learned how to make these fluffy eggs! My brother and I would go nuts and make them as intricate or colorful as possible. They were a base for any and everything we were craving, like a kitchen sink scramble. Considering this nifty lifestyle of mine, I haven't had scrambled eggs on over a decade (!!!) but a classic and go to Sunday morning hangover healer is scrambled tofu! Similar to the scrambled eggs I'd smother in ketchup as a child, but this time cruelty-free, healthier, high in fiber and protein, and dare I say, more versatile?!
     Scrambled tofu only needs a few basic ingredients, pepper (why, because it's great), turmeric (color and extra noms), and tofu. If you want an "eggy" flavor, black salt is the secret ingredient. I throw in loads of veggies to add extra nutrition and a bit of more visual pleasure.
     The one pictured is chalk full of zukes, tomatoes, teeny chunks of kale, red pepper (attempting to grow a tolerance for this), avocado(!!!), and veggie bacon crumbles. I threw in cayenne pepper, sriracha, some white pepper, and a kiss of curry.

What you need:
  1. tofu (as much as you want really, a block will feed two people, if you're super hungover...don't share)
  2. 1-2 teaspoons turmeric (more if you like it)
  3. 1 teaspoon of black salt (again, adjustable)
  4. whatever veggies you're craving
  5. 1-2 Tablespoons of olive/coconut/sesame oil (want an Asian kick, sesame that jam!)
What to do:
  1. heat up a medium-large skillet with the oil on medium high
  2. Smash that tofu (pat it dry) with your hands and throw it in the steamy pan
  3. add in the spices and mix, let it brown a bit
  4. **If you're adding veggies, throw them in with the tofu of even a bit before to soften them up
  5. dish it up, and smother in whatever sauces you fancy, or just consume
a bowl of hangover-healer...tofu scramble~ photo taken by VeganBeats

No comments:

Post a Comment