Sunday, October 14, 2012

Al Matto~

      More back-posts (I've got quite a handful) and memory stirring~ a big complaint I hear about how Korea does some food is pizza. I can't really personally speak for za because I've never really ate a lot of it. I just wasn't in the pie-cult. I know there are cheap 5,000원 pies available, Mr. Pizza, Pizza Hut, Pizza Etang, etc...but the chain of responses or feedback I get is "It's not real pizza."
     There was some hype of a new pizza joint in the HBC that had a beautiful array of ingredients, a real brick pizza oven, pasta and spaghetti done right, and I'm open to check it out, and when meeting with Melissa way back~ I was on board. The only thing...not a pizza kid. None the less, we were grabbing noms at Al Matto.
      The first thing we started with were the drinks. It was a horrid humid day and the sweat was collecting on everyone...and everything. I went with a mango margarita and Melissa went with the blackberry/currant/blueberry (aigh, it's been a while). The restaurant wasn't packed but it was rather understaffed. Two guys manned the place and everything, from water to getting orders taken took a sweet amount of time. But...when we did get the drinks, things rode a slightly more patient boat.
drinks~ photo taken by VeganBeats
     For food, there are a few vegan options, you can get a pizza sans cheese, and there are salads, but I wanted something super filling. I got a veggie wrap, with no bell peppers, and nearly twenty minutes after, I got a toasted pita filled with balsamic kissed caramelized onions, mushrooms, eggplant, and garlic. The dish was served with a small side salad dressed in sweet balsamic and some peppery french fries. Melissa and I threw in generous doses of hot sauce and struggled to not spill the sandwich/pita wrap all over the place. It was good, but nothing to really write home about. Saute some veggies, throw in garlic and balsamic and you've got the twin, fro a fraction of the cost. It was satisfying but not inventive, and wet. I don't eat bread often, but when I do, I don't want soggy.
photo taken by VeganBeats
     If you're with friends and feeling for a pizza, this place may be better. The sandwiches aren't that special, the salad was light and tasty but teeny, the fries were great but...I'd rather get more salad. Anyways~

How to Get There:
Noksapyeong station, walk out exit 2 and continue walking straight. When you get to the kimchi pots continue on straight and walk up Haebongchon (The HBC) for about 10 minutes, Al Matto is a little farther up the street and across from Jacoby's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment