Sunday, May 1, 2011

Worldwide Vegan Bakesale and the Cancer Kids Marathon

     WOW~~ The worldwide Vegan Bakesale:Fundraiser for Japan was PHENOMINAL*!~ 
So many wonderful people came together to support this event! There were amazing eats created, eaten, purchased, and donated!
     Everything made was vegan and there were gluten free options! I don't think I can respectfully describe the beauty of a table full of glorious and SAFE edibles~~
a portion of the table. from bottom left clockwise: chocolate cupcaked with orange bits, chocolate chip and snickerdoodle cookies, brownies, lemon bars, chcolate covered pretzels, thin mints, chocolate afgans, and jelly muffins (photo taken by VeganBeats)
from bottom left clockwise: chocolate covered pretzels, brownies, blondies, carrot spice muffins, lemon poppyseed muffins, rockyroad bars, and coconut cupcakes (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     The bakers are all wonderful women and more than talented. I love how everyone collaborated to support such a positive and beneficial event!! We had everything...I managed to steal some shots before everything flew off the table...I love being surrounded by so much talent and brilliance^^*!~
coconut cupcakes (photo taken by VeganBeats)
Kia's Cupcakes~~Beautiful!! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
Fiona's jelly muffins (photo taken by VeganBeats)
chcolate cupcakes with candied orange bits (photo taken by VeganBeats)
The cookies were...super cute and I'm not usually into sweets but I found myself oogling the spread...O_o
chocolate afgans made by Fiona! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     There were some gluten free options..Kia whipped up some truffles (that were a HIT) and I made the cookie batches ^^*!~
Kia is a wonderful baker and has so much experience in terms of baked goods...she made so much...and uggggghhhhhhh(Homer Simpson moans!!

on top are my Cyndi Lauper girlfriend sugar loves, and below are Kia's truffles! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
gingerbread biscotti made by Kia (moan out loud amazing!!) (photo taken by VeganBeats)
Kia's blondies (photo taken by VeganBeats)
Kia's snickerdoodle and chocolate chip cookies (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     Kia woke up SUPER early to whip up a GIANT box of snickerdoodles and chocolate chip cookies....another hit. Some of my buddies made a point to call me requesting chocolate chip cookies specifically.
     I think chocolate chip cookies are a direct reminder of home..stirs up a lot of nostalgia. Those days (pre-vegan) eating fresh baked chocolate chip cookis dipped in milk or after a long bike-ride. Desserts were never at my house but the were at my nanna's! Everytime my brother and I would spend the day with Nanna and Papa there was some kind of freshly made dessert; chocolate chip cookies or chocolate pudding pie... Lots of cartoons, playing in the park, eating too many sweets, snacking on hummus..not all int his order but my general point~ chocolate chip cookies bring up a lot of childhood memories, they remind us of comfort, safety, happiness...Once vegan, finding these childhood desserts aren't easy to find, we can't run to some store and pick up anything that tastes as good, if we can find anything. Another hit...and Kia, very very yummy!!

     I made the gluten free jazz (besides Kia's truffles.) I made GF sugar cookies, a tropical trail mix cookie, and carob-teased chocolate chip raison cookies.
Cyndi Lauper Girlfriend Sugar Loves (photo taken by VeganBeats)
The tropical trail mix cookies and carob-teased chocolate raison cookie pictures I took came out FAR too blurry but..yumm! I miss baking and playing with an ovens to...I have to say, I'm still buzzing from this!!
The bakesale was a HUGE success, we raised 942,000won, and it will be evenly split and donated to MercyCorps and JEARS. Thanks to all that supported, baked, provided...etc...thank you!!


MORE AWESOMNESS...Today is Sunday and this morning started with the Cancer Kids Marathon!

I was signed up for the 5K and was SUPER nervous. I twisted my ankles up about two weeks ago and haven't been able to get in any running in. But luckily and wonderfully Mipa was also running today so I was able to kick it with Beautiful Seouls!!
octopus man!! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     Due to general anxiety about this race, I have been searching all sorts of blogs for how to prepare for your first 5K.

Helpful hints:
~drink LOTS of water, you'll be thankful for it when you're at that starting line. Dry mouth...ugh
~Get plenty of sleep (I got more than my normal amount and felt GREAT this morning!)
~Stretch, my muscles were so stiff and sore this morning and after lots of stretching running was much kinder to these joints of mine.
~Be around positive energy. I was with some newly made friends and Mipa, my anxiety was ignored and I was in a pleasant position from the get go. Takes the focus off of race anxiety and you have more to look forward to post race**good people to kcik it with!
~Bring layers, it's always better to have too many than too little.
~Have fun...

There were SO many people at this event. On facebook not many were signed so I was a bit nervous that it would be a small event..I started adding so much mental pressure upon myself that I couldn't be gentle with myself at all, I mean, I can't be super super slow, I'll just embarass myself..not saying seeing all these people made me not put in a lot of effort, but, it was nice to allow a little extra breathing space. I knew for sure I wouldn't be the last person...eeek
post race! FIGHTING!! (photo taken by VeganBeats)
Solid finish, I got under half an hour for my time and was not last place!! Such a GREAT morning...wandered a little ran some errands and...I have the entire day!!

HUZZUH!!

1 comment:

  1. Well done Saeheeeee! :) I'm so glad you were there to greet me at the finish line! Let's do this again soooooon~ xoxo

    ReplyDelete