Monday, September 17, 2012

Vegan Beatin' in the Philippines, day 4: Waterfalls, cows, and rice patties, part 1

     While wrapping up a day of sun-soaked hair and fruit-bellied body's, we let the streaks of light dance on our skin while drinking iced tea and Tanduay rum. I wanted a Philippines drink and our hosts at our Port Barton home mixed a simple batch of rum and iced tea.
     "When we were young, this is what we drank. Now we're older...it's still what we drink."

     Strong, light, and flirty~ An easy and satisfying drink that welcomed the evening, and brought out some planning. One of the workers and I started chatting and we started talking about checking out the waterfalls in the area, and my genuine love for cows~
     Within the hour, our next day's plan was set...waterfall playing~ and maybe seeing some bovine buddies!
Like a lot of traveling, let the visuals and tastebuds do the sharing, I can't do much for the savory jams and sweetness...but here are some pictures of what my eyes got to feast on (visually not gastronomically of course)
drying fish~ photo taken by VeganBeats
     From boat to small tree-nuzzled island, we walked down a quiet path (with hidden people) to the said destination...
photo taken by VeganBeats
photo taken by VeganBeats

to the falls~ photo taken by VeganBeats
photo taken by VeganBeats
     I could here the water crashing, and while watching every step, my heart was bouncing with eagerness....or it could be the prior Iced tea and rum...
photo taken by VeganBeats
waterfall~ photo taken by VeganBeats
photo taken by VeganBeats
    The flowers that guided our twisted path were so bright, loud, and sweet-scented...got me thinking of mamabeats!
RED~ photo taken by VeganBeats
YELLOW~ photo taken by VeganBeats
bananas~ photo taken by VeganBeats
     After swimming around, as promised...we rode the waves to check out rice patties...and snuggle bugs!
COW~ photo taken by VeganBeats
     The next little critter really upset me, she was a tied up pig...happy and chatting and rolling around in cool mud! She got me so upset because the rope tied around her neck was too tightly done and her skinw as actually growing over it. Now I understand that I've lived a very fortunate life where I can choose this vegan lifestyle, while many others do not have the freedom of culinary/ethical decisions. (I do hope this doesn't come off as ignorant). Living on an island with your neighbors and kids, this happy pig will feed you for some time, keep bellies full, and get a bit of stress off your shoulders. It's just this rope...loosen it up a bit, or make a harness...
how happy is she? photo taken by VeganBeats
    I kept my sadness to myself, why offend, and how dare I judge others on their food choices...I played with her a bit and left soon after...leaving a lot of love and thought with her...
pretty pig~ photo taken by VeganBeats

No comments:

Post a Comment