Wednesday, January 25, 2012

설날 2012~ 새해복많이받으세요!!~

     I've brought attention to this too many times already...but this New Years I was flying back Seoul-side and it just didn't feel like a new beginning. I realize it could have been a perfect opportunity to really set the new year right, but I just wasn't in it. I was too confused and a bit all over the place. Granted, I got to spend the beginning of the year cuddling with pups and commuting from a different part of town, but it didn't feel like a "new year" for me. Now...now it does. Considering where I'm located, I'm taking advantage of this 설날 (Seol-nal) and counting this lunar new year as my "new year/beginning."
      Before I lose track of this blog's theme...let's talk about/show the noms of 2012. I'm super lucky and fortunate to have some relatives living here so last year (loads of 만두mandu if you recall) and this year I've been able to celebrate with family! Monday early morning I drove to 구리 (Guri) to start feast preparations and kick it with the family!
oh god~ photo taken by VeganBeats
     The food this year was not as grandiose as last year, we were all pretty sleepy but still massive by all means! There were the classic 반찬 prepped and made ready and as always...the language of the heart for many Koreans (especially my family) there was the creation of the GIANT 잡채(japchae)! I love that I'm no longer that little kid that's not allowed to help out in the kitch~
cutting those mush (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     My family actually loves the vegan challenge and more so bringing up how many vegetables they've gathered to make this (and every meal we have together) a SUPER vegan meal~ Just look at all the veggies JUST for japchae!
oh hey, 야채!(photo taken by VeganBeats)
     ugh~ are noodles realllly necessary?!
^^*~ photo taken by VeganBeats
     We literally have a mixing bowl my cousin AND I could both sit in just to mix this dish up...there is always more than enough, enough to bring home...and have for days after.
mix mix mix (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     There was no 만두 this year, didn't need to be! I was still hungover from all the greatness building up to this holiday that pots of coffee would make me stupid happy (hell, that would always make me pee with glee!)
      This is the plated japchae...can you guess what's in my fridge right now? Like bags of?
잡채 photo taken by VeganBeats
     I'm maybe a bit horrible for this, but I pick out the veggies...and "gift" the noodles to everyone else. My cousin, luckily LOVES those sweet potato noodles and is partial to the veggies...we're a good team eh! Here's some more of the spread~ ^^*
photo taken by VeganBeats
     I ate enough to cover another day's hike, then watched a lot of Arthur and Strawberry Shortcake...

Next post...well one soon will go into the plans I have for this new year...already riding strong~

새해복많이받으세요!!~

No comments:

Post a Comment