Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Eye Teasers from Vatos, the Vatos Cake, and the Cinco De Mayo Fundraiser

     As promised, here are come pictures positively bragging about how wonderful Vatos really is~
     What and how did I spoil my senses?!~
First...I started a new piece...I've been really into drawing prominent strange faces, particularly male faces...this guys is going to be big!
man face (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     Alright...let's get to Vatos. The first thing I started with was a vegan Bloody Mary! A giant stalk of celery, briny olives, and a spicy and sassy drink...yesss~
the perfect Bloody Mary~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)
And being a sunny and sweltering day, I got myself a Hunter's also...
oh hey Liver friend~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     For the main course, I got a vegan Taco Salad (Thanks Vatos), this isn't on the menu but being the accommodating (and extremely kind and patient people they are) they whipped up a delicious meal for me. Warm kimchi, cabbage slaw, tomatoes, salsa, onions...delicious! And always beyond satisfying!!
Vatos Taco Salad~ (photo taken by VeganBeats)
     For the dessert, there were Vatos' special options, but I also whipped up a cake special for them!!
     This cake was baked with loads of love and hopes to convince my fellow omni-crew that vegan is good and packed with flavor. Considering it was Cinco de Mayo this cake is full of spice. It's a dark chocolate-strawberry cayenne cake studded with cocoa nibs. The pink frosting is a cayenne pomegranate and strawberry kissed butter-cream while the chocolate frosting is a cayenne pomegranate cocoa butter-cream.
the Vatos Cake (photo Taken by VeganBeats)
Due to the Richness and Love thrown into this cake...it's the Vatos Cake:
Now, how do we whip something like this up?

I will warn...I never NEVER measure...this is all guesstimates. I've been baking for too long and I go with instinct and muscle trusts...ai ai ai~

What you need:
Chocolate cake base:

  1. 3 cups of flour (I used whole wheat)
  2. 2.5 cups sugar (I used coconut based sugar)
  3. 6 T raw cocoa
  4. 2 t baking soda
  5. 10 T oil (coconut or olive works, hell even soy or corn)
  6. 2 T vinegar
  7. 2 t vanilla
  8. 2 cups cold water
  9. 1 cup raw cacao nibs (optional)
  10. 2 T cayenne pepper
  11. 2 cups strawberries sliced
What to do:
  1. preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180 degrees C
  2. add 1/2 cup or sugar to the strawberries and mix in a separate bowl, set aside
  3. Mix all the dry ingredients (even the cocoa nibs) and mix well
  4. Add all the liquids and stir until everything is well blended
  5. Pour the cake batter into two round pans and divide the strawberry mixture over both cakes
  6. Throw it all in the oven and bake for 30 minutes
Cayenne Pomegranate and Strawberry~kissed Butter-cream frosting
     So I'm awful and didn't really measure any of this...I went with taste and consistency...play around~
What you need:
  1. powdered sugar (I ground up my own)
  2. pomegranate juice
  3. vegan butter
  4. strawberry syrup
  5. cayenne pepper
What to do:
  1. got a hand mixer....do it up~
  2. I made about 2 cups all together, and added 1t cayenne to it

Chocolate Cayenne Pomegranate Butter-cream Frosting
What you need:
  1. cocoa powder
  2. butter
  3. powdered sugar
  4. pomegranate juice
  5. cayenne
What to do:
  1.  Same as above...yea...

No comments:

Post a Comment